Lundi Gras

Begun on Lundi Gras 2006. To continue the discussions of things begun in Horslips and Other Music that seemed like they could use a blog of their own.

Sunday, April 30, 2006

So now we're using Austin Powers strategy?

Bolten: White House Must Regain Its 'Mojo'

WASHINGTON - It's time for the White House to go on offense and "get our mojo back." Josh Bolten said Sunday in his first interview since taking over as the president's chief of staff.

Bolten made no promises of pulling up President Bush's all-time low approval ratings, but he said he and Bush have decided they want to be more open with the media and the public.

"We've taken advice from a lot of folks that we ought to put the president out more in ways that the American people can see what he's really like," Bolten said on "Fox News Sunday."

But he said that does not mean the president's policies are going to get an overhaul. "I don't think we need to change, but we do need to refresh and re-energize," Bolten said.

For example, he said the White House is "thinking actively" about immigration and putting the president out front on an issue that has split him off from some in his own party. Bolten added that it is vital that the White House communicate effectively about the importance of the fight against terrorism so Americans will support the mission.

More at the link, but that last sentence could stand as an all-purpose statement if there was a period after 'effectively.'

But it is the concept of 'mojo' I wish to address.

Not to belabor the point, but if I were part of an administration that sold the Mississippi Delta down the river, I would not...by no means NOT...be trafficking in a power word like 'mojo.'

LOUISIANA BLUES
by Muddy Waters

I'm going down in Louisiana, baby, behind the sun
I'm going down in Louisiana, honey, behind the sun
Well, you know I just found out my troubles just begun

I'm going down in New Orleans, hmmmh,
Get me a mojo hand
I'm going down in New Orleans, get me a mojo hand
(spoken aside by Little Walter) "Aw, take me wit' ya
when you go."
I'm gonna show all you good looking women,
Just how to treat your man

(spoken) Let's go back to N'Orleans, boys

One of many fine blues songs found on the Lucky Mojo Blues Lyrics and Hoodoo page.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home